- Scientific name: Pachypanchax playfairii
- Synonyms: Aplocheilus playfairi, Haplochilus playfairi, Panchax playfairi
- Common name: Playfair's Panchax, Jeweled Panchax, Sawback Killifish, Seychelles Killifish
- Group: Killifish
- Habitat: The islands of East Africa; Seychelles, Zanzibar, Madagascar
- Size: 10 cm
- Biotope: Found in standings waters, occasionally brackish.
- Social behavior: An aggressive, territorial predator always ready to bite.Eats smaller fish.
- Diet: Such live foods as small crustaceans, insects, insect larvae, tubifex and small fish or flakes
- Breeding: Quite easy
- Tank: Minimum 80 litres
- Population: 4 fishes for 100 litres
- Decoration: Needs a darkened tank with a fine gravel bottom and hidig places; dense vegetation is required and the water should be medium hard and slightly acid. The fish is a jumper and the tank should be well covered.
- Temperature: 23-25 °C
- pH: 6,5-7
- Hardness: 5-15 NK°
- Lifespan: 1-2 years
Description: The body of the Playfair's Panchax is elongated with a flattened head and rounded fins. The dorsal fin is located far back on the body. The back is brownish-gold and the belly is yellowish. The flanks are yellow with a greenish-yellow iridescence in reflected light. Female is uniformly colored with a dark patch at the base of the dorsal fin. Males are more colorful, they have rows of red dots along the body with a black edge on the tail fin. The scales of the male will stand from the body during the spawning season and are shed, especially during pairing and courting.
Breeding is quite easy: the tank should have 8 gallons of water (30 litres) at a temperature between 74-79 °F (24-26 °C) with the water values as listed above. Use Hornfern, Java moss, fine-leaved plants or perlon webbing for spawning. Breeding can be induced by placing a pair in the tank. Spawning will last about one week with 50 to 200 eggs laid. The parents will devour their spawn and should be removed. Dense vegetation reduces the cannibalism some. At a water temperature of 75 °F (24 °C) the fry hatch in 12 days and should be fed Artemia nauplii and similar small food.
(One spot mouthbrooder)
(Bleeding heart tetra)
(Flame tetra, Red tetra)
(Black phantom tetra)
(Midget Catfish, Midget Sucker Catfish)
(African butterfly cichlid)
(Blue tetra, Cochu's Blue Tetra)
(Yellow Congo Tetra)
(African fern, Congo fern)
(Red-Striped Earth Eater)
(Brichard's slender cichlid)
(Figure Eight Puffer, Eye Spot Puffer)
(Fahaka Puffer, Nile Puffer)