- Scientific name: Sciaenochromis ahli
- Synonyms: Cyrtocara ahli, Haplochromis ahli
- Common name: Electric blue haplo
- Group: Cichlids
- Habitat: Africa; Lake Malawi
- Size: 15 cm.
- Biotope: Found in between rocky and sandy zones
- Social behavior: A predatory species that will eat small fish. Otherwise the Electric Blue Haplo isa peaceful, but territorial fish.Males are polygamous, so they should be kept with a number of females.
- Diet: Live, crustaceans, small fish, aquatic insects, insect larvae, tablets, pellets.
- Breeding: Quite easy
- Tank: Minimum 250 litres (for 1 couple)
- Population: 2 males and 4-5 females for 400 litres
- Decoration: These fish need a large open swimmingarea.Use sturdy, rock structures with large passages and caves. A sand substrate with a scattering of rocks is recommended.
- Temperature: 25-26°C
- pH: 7,6-8,8
- Hardness: 10-25 NK°
- Lifespan: 10 years
Description: An elongated fish with a large mouth. The head forms a 60 degree angle from the mouth. Maleshave a stunning blue color which is comparable to the hues of saltwater fish. Six faint bars are sometimes apparent. Thefins are the same color as the rest of the body.The females are usually brown-gray with a few blue-tipped scales aroundthe mid-section.Six bars are sometimes visible.The fins are also brown-gray in color.
Males have the deep "electric blue" color for which this species is named. Thefemales are considerably smaller with a dull gray-brown body coloration.
Place a male with three or four females in a large tank. Use water with a pH between 8.0-8.5,a water hardness from 15-18 dH, and a temperature of 81-84°F (27-29°C). The male will attract the female byshaking his brilliant blue body.The eggs are incubated by the female for a period of 18-22 days. Remove the other fish from the tank. Themother will continue her care of the fry for another week. The young can be raised on Artemia and Daphnia.
(Peacock cichlid, African peacock)
(Moori, Blue dolphin cichlid)
(Lyretail cichlid, Fairy cichlid)
(Many Banded Shell-Dweller)