What are L-number catfishes?
It is not so dreadfully long ago that lori?cariid catfishes were regarded as the poor relations of the aquarium hobby, and were maintained and tolerated in the community aquarium solely on account of their often bizarre appearance and their useful characteristics.
Many of the most popular tropical aquarium fish kept today are more brightly colored than their wild relatives. Modern techniques have allowed the development of varieties to be taken to new extremes, with the first genetically modified fish now available.
The popularity of fishkeeping
Although there is some archaeological evidence of fish-keeping dating back to Babylonian and Egyptian times, it is unclear when people started keeping fish for their aesthetic qualities, rather than as a source of food, but the activity certainly dates back well over a thousand years.
Micronutrients for aquarium plants
These nutrients are required only in extremely small quantities and are often described as "trace elements." They play important roles in the biochemical processes that sustain life and are vital for good plant health.
- 2016.05.14 - New fish in the Cyprinids category.
- 2016.05.01 - There is a new Cichlid profile on the site.
- 2016.04.23 - There is a new profile on the site: the Rainbow Shiner.
- 2016.02.27 - There is a new Loach profile on the site.
- 2016.02.06 - New catfish profile on the site.
- 2016.01.23 - There is a new Cichlid profile on the site.
- 2016.01.09 - There is a new aquarium plant profile on the site.
- 2015.12.21 - There is a new Cyprinid profile on the site.
- 2015.12.12 - There is a new Killifish profile on the site.
- 2015.11.28 - There is a new catfish profile on the site: Leporacanthicus heterodon.
- 2015.11.14 - There is a new Catfish profile on the site.
- 2015.11.08 - There is a new rare, but beautiful puffer profile on the site.
- 2015.10.31 - The profile of the One-lined Pencilfish has been uploaded.
Onethird of freshwater fish species at risk from dam projects.2016.03.26
One third of the world's freshwater fish species could be under threat if the go-ahead is given for hundreds of hydro-electric dams to be built in the Amazon, Congo and Mekong basins.
Researchers find the first warm blooded fish2015.05.16
The opah, also called the moonfish, internally generates heat through constant flapping of wing-like pectoral fins
Oceanário de Lisboa presents 'Forests Underwater' by Takashi Amano2015.03.28
Oceanário de Lisboa will open, on 22nd April of this year, the new temporary exhibition, 'Forests Underwater' by Takashi Amano.