What are L-number catfishes?
It is not so dreadfully long ago that lori?cariid catfishes were regarded as the poor relations of the aquarium hobby, and were maintained and tolerated in the community aquarium solely on account of their often bizarre appearance and their useful characteristics.
Many of the most popular tropical aquarium fish kept today are more brightly colored than their wild relatives. Modern techniques have allowed the development of varieties to be taken to new extremes, with the first genetically modified fish now available.
The popularity of fishkeeping
Although there is some archaeological evidence of fish-keeping dating back to Babylonian and Egyptian times, it is unclear when people started keeping fish for their aesthetic qualities, rather than as a source of food, but the activity certainly dates back well over a thousand years.
Micronutrients for aquarium plants
These nutrients are required only in extremely small quantities and are often described as "trace elements." They play important roles in the biochemical processes that sustain life and are vital for good plant health.
- 2015.04.12 - There is a new Characin profile on the site.
- 2015.04.04 - There are 3 new fish profiles in the Characin category.
- 2015.03.28 - There is a new video and article about Oceanário de Lisboa and their new exhibiton by Takashi Amano. More pictures about the projekt in the gallery and on the Facebook site.
- 2015.03.21 - There is a new South American catfish profile on the site.
- 2015.03.14 - There is a new Pike Cichlid profile on the site.
- 2015.03.07 - A quite rare, but very interesting new Characin profile is on the site.
- 2015.02.21 - There is a new Moss profile on the site.
- 2015.01.31 - There is a new fish profile on the site, that is for the expert aquarists: the Motoro Singray.
- 2015.01.28 - There is a new rare, but impressive gourami profile on the site.
- 2015.01.18 - New fish in the Cichlid category: the Demanson's Cichlid.
- 2015.01.10 - There is a new, colorful rainbowfish profile on the site.
- 2015.01.03 - I have uploaded the new year's first fish profile, a new characin.
- 2014.12.28 - There is a new Corydoras profile on the site.
Oceanário de Lisboa presents 'Forests Underwater' by Takashi Amano2015.03.28
Oceanário de Lisboa will open, on 22nd April of this year, the new temporary exhibition, 'Forests Underwater' by Takashi Amano.
Back from the dead, but still on the brink?2014.09.14
With its striking colour pattern and vaguely lamniform appearance the 'red-tailed black shark', Epalzeorhynchos bicolor (Smith 1931), is an enduringly popular aquarium favourite.
Evolution in action2014.04.26
Competition between large and small versions of the same cichlid in Lake Tanganyika could lead to them becoming two separate species in the future.